Activities in entrepreneurism and innovation are critical to the future of medicine, the health and safety of patients, and the continued advancement of anesthesiology. To facilitate physician education in these areas, the Foundation for Anesthesia Education and Research has created the Anesthesiology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program, which underscores key elements of successful translational medical research and the scientific discoveries that advance patient care. This program houses novel activities that exemplify FAER’s mission to advance medicine through research and education in anesthesiology.
Patents and Commercial Assessment Workshop
As part of the Anesthesiology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program, the Patents and Commercial Assessment Workshop, was held June 6, 2015 at the American Society of Anesthesiologists headquarters in Schaumburg, Ill.
After attending the Patents and Commercial Assessment Workshop, participants were able to:
• Explain patents and why they are critical to product protection
• Compare different types of patents
• Understand the patent application process
• Differentiate between patent processes in the United States, Europe and Japan
• Summarize how companies evaluate technology
• Identify effective ways to work with offices of technology licensing in an academic environment
• Recognize the importance of commercial assessment to the due diligence process
INNOVATION & ENTREPRENEURSHIP PROGRAM SPONSORS
Thank you to the organizations that are sponsoring the Anesthesiology Innovation and Entrepreneurship Program.