The FAER Academy of Research Mentors in Anesthesiology facilitates the development of educational and research programs for junior faculty members, and it supports faculty members in mentoring roles. The Research Mentor Academy, established in 2004, is a resource for the development of mentors and role models in academic anesthesia. Academy members include academic anesthesiologists who have demonstrated outstanding contributions to the development of physician scientists in anesthesia, and, through their mentorship, have promoted and increased the level of academic research activity in anesthesiology.
The Research Mentor Academy will be accepting nominations for new members between March 1 and August 31, 2017. Any member of the academy or chair of an academic anesthesiology department may submit nominations for membership.
Nominations for academy membership are due August 31, 2017. To submit a nomination, please email the following materials to Mary Schrandt via email at MarySchrandt@faer.org:
1. A cover letter from the nominator emphasizing the mentoring experience of the nominee.
2. The nominee’s biographical sketch
3. The nominee’s trainee list (Please use this template).
All nominees should be actively involved in research relevant to the anesthesiology community and should be currently involved in mentoring activities. The main criterion for selection to membership in the academy is the quantity and quality of the current and prior mentoring experiences. Some responsibilities of Research Mentor Academy members are:
- Assemble presenters for the academy’s workshop at the ASA annual meeting and its business meeting
- Participate, if possible, in the AUA/IARS Meet & Greet reception at the annual AUA/IARS meeting or be available to interact as mentors with the junior faculty abstract/poster presenters
- Review research projects submitted from host institutions participating in the eight-week summer FAER medical student anesthesia research fellowship program